It’s once again time to remind everyone of the common potential hazards to our pets during the holiday season.
Christmas is the best time of the year, but keep in mind the things we decorate with may be dangerous to our pets.
1. Securely anchor your Christmas tree so it doesn’t tip and fall, causing possible injury to your pet. This will also prevent the tree water from spilling, which may contain fertilizers that can cause stomach upset. Stagnant tree water is a breeding ground for bacteria, and your pet could end up with nausea or diarrhea should he drink it.
2. Avoid Mistletoe & Holly: Holly, when these are ingested they can cause pets to suffer nausea, vomiting and diarrhea. Mistletoe can cause gastrointestinal upset and cardiovascular problems. And many varieties of lilies can cause kidney failure in cats if ingested. Opt for just-as-jolly artificial plants made from silk or plastic.
3. Don’t leave lighted candles unattended. Pets may burn themselves or cause a fire if they knock candles over. Be sure to use appropriate candle holders, placed on a stable surface, and if you leave the room, put the candle out!
4. Keep wires, batteries and glass or plastic ornaments out of paw’s reach. A wire can deliver a potentially lethal electrical shock and a punctured battery can cause burns to the mouth and esophagus, while shards of breakable ornaments can damage your pet’s mouth and digestive tract.
While you may love the excitement and noise of the New Year’s celebrations, you pet may be terrified by it.
1. As you count down to the new year, please keep in mind that strings of thrown confetti can get lodged in your pet’s intestines, if ingested, perhaps causing obstructions that may need surgery to correct.
2. Noisy poppers can terrify pets and cause possible damage to sensitive ears. A dog’s hearing is much more sensitive then a human’s.
3. Remember that many pets are also scared of fireworks, so be sure to secure them in a safe, indoor, escape-proof area as midnight approaches. Many pets run away on New Year’s Eve out of fear in an attempt to escape the extremely loud noise.
During the holiday celebrations you may have more people in your house than you pet is accustom to, so give your pet his own quiet space to retreat to, complete with fresh water and a place to snuggle.